Do you ever think about how much your joints contribute to your ability to move freely and do the things you love? It can be easy to take them for granted until they start to ache and stiffen up.
While conditions such as osteoarthritis can cause physical changes to our joints that cannot be reversed, there are proactive ways to promote joint health and manage the condition. This is where lifestyle changes and chiropractic care come in.
So, this week, we offer 5 tips to help you stay mobile and maintain good joint health, enabling you to carry on doing the things you love:
1. Exercise regularly Exercise helps to strengthen the muscles, ligaments, and tendons surrounding the joints. Movement also promotes fluid around the joint, which acts like oil in an engine to keep your joints lubricated, allowing for smooth movement. Aim for 30 minutes of intentional exercise a day, incorporating various aerobic, stretching, and strength exercises.
2. Nutrition and hydration Everything that you eat and drink has an impact on how well your body works. Think of it as the fuel that keeps you going, similar to fuel that you would put into your car. When your car is provided with the right fuel, it works like a dream, but if you put the wrong fuel in by accident you will soon know about it! And the same goes for our body, but it can take a little longer to let us know something isn’t right. Maintaining a diet that includes a variety of fresh vegetables, fruit, protein, and fats will help to support your joint health by reducing inflammation. Drinking plenty of fresh water throughout the day will also support your joints and encourage that smooth movement as discussed above.
3. Maintain a healthy weight This follows on nicely from tips 1 and 2, as regular exercise and good nutrition will support you in maintaining a healthy weight. Naturally, your joints can become stressed if they are under extra pressure resulting in pain and stiffness. Therefore, maintaining a healthy body weight can help to reduce this stress and loading. 4. Supplementation Some research supports supplementation to help with joint pain. Three popular supplements include turmeric, fish oils, and glucosamine. As with all supplementations, they are there to take alongside a healthy diet instead of replacing, and it’s important to consult your healthcare provider before taking them to ensure they are suitable for you1.
5. Consider chiropractic care As chiropractors, we specialise in joint and spine health, and specific adjustments can help improve joint function and reduce pain and stiffness. Not only can it help with general aches and pains, but also, many people with osteoarthritis find chiropractic care beneficial for their hip or knee pain when combined with their core rehab program.
So, there you have it! By incorporating these tips into your routine, you can take care of your joints and reduce the risk of pain and stiffness. And if you're currently experiencing joint pain, don't hesitate to reach out to us for tailored guidance and a plan that's right for you.
1. Slowicek, L. (2020). 9 Supplements for Joint Pain. Retrieved from Healthline: https://www.healthline.com/health/joint-supplements The content of this blog is for educational purposes and is not intended to offer personal medical advice. You should seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this blog.